Saturday, March 26, 2011

3 months-it's for the birds

When I was a little girl I remember my Dad saying that the last three months before you get married is always the worst. He said that you would fight over the little stuff, stress about the color of the curtains, and finally figure out that your significant other really doesn't like your chicken salad after all. I always laughed at these examples my Dad gave thinking that it really couldn't ever happen to me. I mean really-fighting over the color of the curtains?? Who in their right mind does that? I'll tell ya who--me....I do that.....Dad was right after all.
 The last three months can potentially be worst. Between picking out furniture, kitchen tables, sheets, picture frames, and the color of the flowers on the front porch-it can be down right awful.
Today was one of those days. I move into the place that Thomas and I will call home for the next year (at least) in about three weeks. Like all normal people who haven't had a nice, full sized big kid apartment-we needed furniture. So like all good mid-western people we got into our car and went to the only place in the mid-west that really is one stop shopping for your home!





However-as smart as we were for going-we just as stupid. It's a Saturday and apparently that meant everyone and their dog as well as their 3rd cousins twice removed was there. Thomas briskly sped through NFM with ease and determination-me on the other hand held on tight and praying I wouldn't have a panic attack right there in the middle of the store because of all the people.

After walking around for what seemed like hours, falling in love with a few pieces, Thomas suggests that we go and do what we should have done to begin with-apply for the credit card. Ugh, fantastic-lines, people, and an overly warm Kaitlin. In case you are wondering-not a good combination. To add to the already grumpy mood that was over taking me like the plague, my cell phone starts ringing off the hook and who is it you ask? You guessed it! My FATHER. Good ol' Dad. The man who offered me-no-freely gave without knowledge of the future stressed he had just caused his unsuspecting daughter-advice.

Now-if you know my family at all-you will know that "patience and hang on ONE SECOND" is NOT in our vast vocabulary of words. After being pressed for an answer about dates, hanging up three times, attempting to discuss my personal financial information with a less than thrilled financial counselor, my Father's request was finally answered, the credit card was obtained, and Thomas & sat down and had the FIRST fight of the day.

After what I'm sure was the dumbest most unimportant fight of the century (over how to split up our BIG purchases from our oh so favorite store) we left. Empty handed and with major migraines.

Like a day in the furniture store wasn't enough-Thomas got the best idea ever-yes even better than furniture! A stop at "Golf Galaxy". Yes-a stop at Kaitlin's most hated sports store ever. Not because it's Thomas' favorite store, but because for the life of me I have yet to figure out what in the world is so fantastic about spending an entire day driving a tiny little cart, around a HUGE green, hitting a TINY little ball into a TINY little hole-really? So-off to golf galaxy we went.



After this wonderfully exciting day of overly packed furniture stores, impatient people, grumpy financial counselors, trips to the wonderful golf store, and pointless fights-we were hungry. So off to one of the best Mexican places ever....



Dinner was divine-chips, salsa, guacamole, cheese dip, rice, beans, enchiladas, and tacos-enough food to kill an elephant-or an iguana-take your pick. We decided to go shopping at the one and only



Now, you are probably asking yourself--"what in the world are these two thinking? They just spent hours in a furniture store only to walk out with nothing but a headache. Why are they going shopping.....again?" I'll answer that question for you. Because we are STUPID that's why!

We walked out of Target with yet again ANOTHER headache and pissed off at the other because (of all things) Thomas wouldn't go with me to look at shorts. SHORTS! Seriously???!!!!

After getting back in my car, yelling at each other for a few minutes. We continue on with out evening by seeing....




After a movie, a cup of Bryer's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, and a still irritated Kaitlin-we got into our car to go back to my place.

Now, at this point I should probably tell you all that Thomas knew he probably should have just come along and looked at the dumb shorts and he knew that I was upset still-so he said he was sorry. But in a not so normal way. Instead of saying "sorry" he decides to play the song "I'm sorry" by Brenda Lee. For those of you who are not familiar with this song....let me just let you read what made the entire stressful day melt away in seconds:


I'm sorry, so sorry
That I was such a fool
I didn't know
Love could be so cruel
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Uh-oh
Oh, yes

(I'm sorry) I'm sorry
(So sorry) So sorry
Please accept my apology
But love is blind
And I was to blind to see
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Uh-oh
Oh, yes
 The car burst into laughter. I couldn't see straight so I pulled the car over into the McDonald's parking lot. 20 chicken nuggets, 2 cheeseburgers, and a red box later-the stupid, pointless fight was over. 
I guess I say all of this to finally get to this point. 

I'm not sure where all of you are in your relationships. Some of you are right where we are, some of you have been married for a hundred years, and some of you aren't anywhere close to being at this point. But no matter where you are, how you feel, how wrong you think the other person is, or how stressed out you get-remember this. 

You don't say "I do but I don't" 
The person you are with isn't perfect-but they are perfect for YOU. 
And above all....

Life is too short to always be serious. 
Live.
Laugh.
Love.
Smile.

Breathe deep
Calm down

Enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment