Thursday, October 14, 2010

Silence.

I've never been a fan of silence. My parents always told me that you could hear alot when you were silent. I always came back with-"That's what I'm afraid of". You see it's never the sounds that I can actually hear with my ears-it's the thoughts that go through my head that I can "hear" that make me want to not have....well....silence.

Tonight has been one of those nights where I have purposefully gone out of my way to create noise. Unfortunately for me and my efforts my room is not equipped with a very large and very loud sound system so I have found myself being-silent.

Just because I don't like being silent doesn't mean I am not amazed by the things that you hear when you are. On the flip side though there are some things that I have heard that I really could have gone without hearing for a while.

For instance-as I look at the number on the screen that reflects the balance of my checkbook I think to myself "Crap-another week before I get paid and there is nothing in the pantry. What am I going to do?" It's out of the SILENCE that I hear-"Be still and know that I am God-don't you trust me?"

Fantastic. Nothing like a little guilt-thanks God.

But with that thought comes this response:

"It's not guilt....just the simple truth. The birds eat-so why should you be any different?"

And with that....I'm back to square one....silence.

Minutes pass and other thoughts come and go through my head. But yet again-out of the silence comes another thought:

"Why is it so easy for me to say that I trust God-yet-when it comes down to the actual action of that word-I can't do it."

My thought is immediately met-out of the silence-with an answer

"Kaitlin.....I have known who you were-who you are-and who you will become-where your life will go-long before you were even thought of. Kaitlin don't you think that I have a plan that will work out if you just let go? Do you think that you are going to tell me something or come up with a better idea than the ones that I have already have? Do you think that I am just going to say "No-really? That is the coolest idea ever! I wish I would have thought of that one!" NO! I have the plan for your life set out-the road maps marked-all you have to do is be willing to give me your hand and let me lead you."

Once again-out of the silence-a perfect answer-for an un-perfect question.

Silence. Quiet. Stillness.

What can you hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment