Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Unspoken Rules

Thomas & I have been attending pre-marital counseling. It's been....well.....interesting. I have found that this man that I love very much has some different sides and ideas on certain things than I had originally though-rather assumed.

We are reading the book "Saving your marriage before it starts" By Les & Leslie Parrott. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who is getting married because it is a GREAT catalyst for good conversations and really brings some very important issues to the front burner-we are only in the 2nd chapter & I have learned alot about Thomas.

Tonight though we talked about the "unspoken rules". You know, the rules that we as individuals live by-"how we roll". It's the things that you yourself as a single person never think about. It's those things that could potentially drive your future spouse up the wall and it just so happens that mine make Thomas scratch his head, ask why, and then laugh.

So since my fiance thought they were so funny-I thought that I would share them with you on this cold evening-well...early morning.

1. NEVER put stick butter in the fridge
2. Don't buy dessert at resturants except for special occasions.
3. Change your sheets 1x a week.
3. Buy new pillows every year.
4. Always pay bills at least a week before they are due
5. Never rent red boxes
6. Don't ruin a meal someone has made for you by smothering it with ketchup-this is more for Thomas rather than just a general unspoken rule-he has a tendency to ruin perfectly good meals that I take hours making by pouring the entire ketchup bottle on it and topping it all of with a bag of cheese. AH!
7. Never go a day without giving the other person a hug and telling them how much you love them.
8. Always do the dishes after every meal.
9. Clean the bathroom 1x a week
10. Put your clean laundry away right away and don't pile it on the floor-especially when your *wife* takes FOREVER doing the laundry b/c *someone* has a crap ton of clothes!


By this time in the discussion Thomas thought I had fallen off my rocker-however-like the sweet man that he is-he just smiled and said "ok honey". Hey....at least he has the 2 magical words down lol

Who would have thought that marriage counseling could bring so many things to light....even the small things that you would never think of :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment